Monday, June 16, 2008

Good Bloomsday To You

Yes friends, it's June 16th*. The day every year when literary geeks and Irish culture dorks*2 gather 'round in pubs and tip many shots to celebrate Leopold Bloom and his day. Most of them, myself included, do so having never read Ulysses. The shame!

I'll do better next year, I promise*3. In the meantime, here's a poorly organized collage...






* Unless you're reading this later than June 16th. If that's the case, I can't help you.

*2 The crossover between these two groups is stunning.

*3 Note: Promise is for entertainment purposes only, as said promisor is typing with his fingers crossed.

5 comments:

Jay Johnson said...

and to you, good sir.

i will go on record to having seen held in my own hands copies of the first 7 of the nine covers you've posted. i own the vintage with hat and the anniversary edition with the highly elongated ULYSSES (i think from random). i've also recently held the BoMC slipcase hardcover edition, which was very nice.

.

Anonymous said...

yesterday, a certain ms. marine of our acquaintance nonchalantly tossed off a wish for the hoffers to have a happy bloomsday. classy! it about melted his faux irish heart. :)

oh hey. it's myra, p.s.
sirota tonite--sorry didn't get master jay the galley in time--you boys gonna be there?

Justin Riley said...

I love books and all, but it's hard for me to motivate myself to come back to 'workville' unless it's for booze.

Boy, I'm starting to sound like a regular family man.

Unknown said...

I can see C. reenacting some choice Molly Bloom lines for you with her lush ripe body blushing to...

'family' is a state of mind- not just a physical location and somehow I can see your mind 100% out of the gutter hehe

carl hoffman said...

Sadly, I have NOT read said book yet. Happily, I've recently purchased "Ulysses Annotated" by Don Gifford, which will enable me to better understand said tome when I start reading it in the very near future. Also to be perused as reference: the Fagles translation of The Odyssey.